Sunday, July 5, 2015

A post from the past.

I had this post hidden in my "drafts" folder, and thought that it should be shared. Part of the reason is, it explains a tiny bit of what I have been dealing with for the past 7 months. I don't know why I never posted it- but here is

CRASH, BANG, BOOM


Ok, So I started a post at the beginning of the year, and tried to promise that I would blog more.. yeah. That Didn't happen. Why? Well, number one I am busy. Number two- I start a blog, think it doesn't make sense, worry that it doesn't make sense, and say "to heck with it, no one reads this thing anymore anyway."  I then take a break from blogging for years at a time, and wish when I come across a blog I ABSOLUTELY ADORE that I would have blogged more.

So what's been going on lately? Let me just fill you in on the last 30 days. My brain has a hard enough time remembering that far :)

I started Yoga. -Insert pretty pose here-
In an effort to ground myself, become more flexible, and shed some of the (I've been married and too busy to care about what I look like) weight. I need to get back to where I was when I was actively studying martial arts, I can't just dive into it, because I don't want injuries...hence, a great friend of mine invited me to come to a yoga class she takes. After much deliberation, I went. I was nervous, but excited at the same time. Let me just cut to the chase- I was made much less nervous when I found that the Yoga instructor is also my Martial Arts instructor's sister! Yup, I knew her already! So anyway, I've been going for about the last month- and even though I have frustrations with it, and hate it a good chunk of the time (this will be a completely different post) I still go, and I still deep down, LOVE it.

I went to a breath work class last Thursday... I have never done anything like that, but in an effort to help with my lymphedema, and also in further grounding myself and finding a deeper meditation, I tried it. HOLY CRAP IT WAS WIERD!!!! Again, this will be in another post...

What I really wanted to discuss was what happened after the breath work class…

It was about 9:00pm when the breath work class ended. it had been raining, and snowing a tiny bit while I was held up in that oh so very interesting class- the roads however, were clear, and I wasn't nervous. I was too hyped up from trying to process what had just happened for the last two hours. I said my goodbyes to those that I knew, grabbed my blanket and pillow (Required for the class) and headed to the Jeep. John and I usually talk on the phone whenever I am headed to or from somewhere- especially if it is in an area that I don't normally travel. I quickly called him (I have a headset, no laws are broken here) and started explaining the events that just took place. As I got closer to home the snow started to fall again, and quite a bit harder. No worries, I am in the Jeep and it does GREAT in bad weather. On my way home from Yoga, I usually turn onto North Temple from 300 W, right where the Overpass and the Trax Station are. I headed the same direction from this class. Up until this point this has never been an issue, although this was pretty much the first storm of the year. As I got closer to this area, I heard myself say "don't turn here, go a different way." Of course, being that I was so involved in the story that I was telling, I didn't listen.  I turned onto North Temple and was immediately hit with ice, lots and lots of ice. I slowed right down and tried to breathe. Still talking to John, I figured I would be just fine. I advanced up the overpass, and immediately slid into the cement barrier. I shrieked and told  John what was happening as my heart began to race and my hands clenched the steering wheel as tight as they could- like that was going to save me. I corrected myself, and slowly moved forward, making sure i stayed in my lane and straight. Things were going fine and BAM! I was hit from behind, knocking me forward and sliding, back into the cement barrier. There was nothing I could do, but try to keep straight, as I slid down the hill. Cars behind me hitting each other, which eventually sent the one that hit me originally back into the side of me. I kept hitting the cement barrier, and hoping that things were going to turn out fine. I looked in the lane next to me, and cars were sliding down it backwards. This was bad. John said that I was screaming on the phone, and he told me to calm down, and he would be right there. I don't know how long it took him to get there, All I know is there were 6 cars involved, and I was hit, several times. The result was, Back Sprain, Concussion, Whiplash, Memory Loss, and lots and lots of rehab for all of it. I am so blessed that it wasn't as bad as it could have been. There were accidents everywhere that night- I am also so very blessed that our Jeep was fine, except for some minor repairs.

7 months later, I am still dealing with the head injury this accident caused. I have something called Post Concussive Syndrome, which involved headaches that never go away, slowed speech, and memory loss. It's not horrible though- most people wouldn't even notice, unless you know me well. The worst of it happens when I am overtired, stressed, excited, or my blood glucose level is elevated. Other than that,  I am pretty good. I am not cleared for martial arts yet, but thankfully am cleared for Yoga- as long as it isn't some of the really crazy stuff.
All l know, is I am truly blessed!

No comments: