Wednesday, July 27, 2011

How We Met...

It is amazing to think that John and I have been married for four months! This time last year, I was tentatively planning a wedding for “sometime in the future” not knowing when that “sometime” would ever happen. Now, as I reflect back on how it all started, it warms my heart and brings a bright smile to my face.


I had made the Decision to join a dating site specifically for LDS singles. I figured it would be easier, than trying to sift through tons of “potential dates” that do not share my religious beliefs. I also felt a little safer… whether I was or not that has yet to be decided. So I set up my profile and waited for a month or so before I realized, that putting your profile on the internet doesn’t mean that great men are going to gather around your inbox, or whisper sweet nothings into cyberspace. Logging in every day, and seeing the same people I felt I had nothing in common with and/or didn’t interest me, was a bit disheartening. I made the decision to quit waiting and start looking. I also made the decision to get a life!

I abandoned the dating world and was given the best gift I could have received at the time- Sister Missionaries. I was asked one day if I could go on an exchange with the Sister Missionaries assigned to our stake. I had no plans- why not? An hour with them could be kinda fun right? It was more than that! I ended up driving Sister Wang to scheduled appointments and knocking on doors of those that had been referred or had shown some interest in learning about the Gospel of Jesus Christ. My spirit was uplifted. My testimony was strengthened in just a few short hours! I was hooked. That wasn’t the only time I took those lovely ladies anywhere- over the next several months, I became the designated driver for Sister Wang, Sister Kalolo, and Sister Stroud. I was even blessed to drive them when they were transferred to other areas, helping them move their things, and going on exchanges when they were not in my Stake, but close to my area. I loved each one of them so dearly! They helped strengthen my testimony and my faith- and they set me on the path that I felt I needed to be. They helped grow and cultivate the desire to go on a full-time mission.

I talked with my bishop, and of course, he was ecstatic to hear I wanted to go. I was in my late 20’s and I belief the cutoff for Sister Missionaries is 30…until you go on a couples mission at least… So I went to every Missionary fireside, prayed, read scriptures and started tackling all of my medical issues that were happening at the time so that I could be ready. I also decided that since I was going to go on a mission, I couldn’t waste time thinking about boys or hanging profiles like shingles on dating sites.

I logged on to my site that had caused me grief in the past, and got as far as “Account Settings” before a guy with a funny screen name and a picture with him in earmuffs on said “hello.” It took me a second to respond, I didn’t know what to do. I checked out his profile- Divorced with 2 great kids, loved the outdoors, lived 50 some odd miles away from me… What was the harm in saying “hi” back? So I did. We ended up talking for a few hours, and at the end of the conversation, I had given him my email address and my cell phone number. I had NEVER given those things out online without talking to the person for at least 3 months online. What was I doing? Great. I had also scheduled a date to meet him at Barnes & Noble the following Tuesday.

I will never forget that Sunday- It changed my world. No, I didn’t get to go on a full-time mission, but the eternal mission I am now on, I wouldn’t change for anything. !!!!

Next Post: The FIRST DATE!

                                                           To –Be-Continued….

1 comment:

Erin said...

Loved this story, and you need to change your profile because it says you are single, and you are WAY not single anymore! Yay! :)