Sunday, July 26, 2015

Welcome freedom!

Meet my little pink Dexcom. This little device, is truly AMAZING! Type 1 Diabetes just got easier to manage at my little home… because of this device. It is a continuous glucose monitor, that tracks interstitial glucose levels every 5 minutes, giving you a graph of how your blood glucose levels are trending, and going. In simplest terms, this means that I can achieve tighter control of my diabetes with less effort. I no longer have to check my glucose levels 20 times a day, the graph tells me where its going, and what it has been doing. I plug it into the computer and it downloads graphs, trends, and tons of numbers my Physician can use to modify my medication needs. It has a lovely App that my husband can use to check how I am doing from anywhere- giving him peace of mind when he travels. The app will also alarm, just as my dexcom does, when my blood sugar levels are below normal, and also when they are above the parameters I have set.

It's truly amazing! I've had it 3 weeks and I can't imagine life without it. Because of the peace of mind it give me, my glucose control is already better. I no longer get anxious when I exercise because I can see if I am dropping instead of feel a crash and binge on juice to try to bring it back up. If i have to run into the store- I don't have to pack "hermoine's handbag" with me, I can run in and not worry.

This is technology at its finest :)

No comments: